Alpha Small Groups!
Our passion at Destiny is to see people in community together and growing in life, faith and friendship. We believe that the best way to foster this within our church is through Small Groups. We have three semesters of groups: spring, summer and fall usually comprised of free-market groups, where leaders choose the topic, activity or discussion.
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FOR SPRING 2021!
For our 2021 spring semester (February – May 2021) we will not offer free-market groups. We will instead offer ALL Alpha Groups. There are several days/times to choose from. Some groups will meet online and some will meet in person. Our simple desire is for everyone to have a space to ask the big questions of life. What is my purpose? What happens when I die? Why is there suffering? Alpha is a chance to ask these big questions and explore the Christian faith in a fun, non-pressurised environment. Each session includes a short film and a discussion where you can share what you think with a small group of people just like you.
We want to take everyone on this journey through Alpha, so whether you have been through the course before or this is your first time hearing about it we believe God has something amazing in store for you. You’re invited to join us as we collectively as a church, explore the questions of life, faith and meaning.
ONLINE MEETING HELP
With everyone staying home to help stop the spread of the coronavirus, it’s more important than ever to stay connected with your group. We’re moving all of our meetings online where you can join in and interact using a smartphone, tablet or computer.
If you’re in a small group, watch for an email from your leader with a link to your next online meeting time. We’ll be using a platform called Zoom which allows for quick and easy group video meetings. If you’ll be using your computer, be sure it has a camera and microphone built in, then simply click the link from your leader’s email when it’s time to meet.
HOW TO USE ZOOM
Your small group leaders are being provided instruction on how to create a Zoom meeting. Here are step by step instructions to be able to download the app, join the meeting, and be part of a meeting.
- Download the Zoom app on your mobile device or computer.
- iPhone App Download (iPhone and iPad)
- Android App Download (Samsung, Motorola, LG, etc.)
- Desktop App
- Once you have downloaded the app, you are all set for the first meeting.
- Your small group leader will send you an email or text with a meeting link or a meeting code before your group meeting time.
- To access the meeting via email: open your email on the device that you will be using for the Zoom meeting. Click or tap the Join Link in the email invite.
To access the meeting via the app: open the app on your phone or tablet. Tap “Join a Meeting” and enter the 9-digit meeting code.
If your group leader hasn’t started the meeting yet, a screen will pop up with a “Waiting for the host to start”.
- Small group leaders will have the Zoom meeting ready to go for your group’s meeting time. Your small group leaders will be in contact with you with your meeting time if it has changed at all.
- Select “Join with Video” in the window that opens. You can turn on and off audio and video using the microphone and camera buttons that are in the lower left-hand corner of the Zoom meeting window. If you can’t hear audio, make sure that the volume is up on your phone. Check out the video below for more info about how to configure your audio and video.
- To help prevent background noise interruptions, please mute your mic when you are not speaking using the little button on the lower left-hand side of your screen.